Like everything awesome, something more awesome always comes along after the originally awesome thing loses some of its awesomness.
In other words, Whatsapp’s godlike ubiquitousness and ease of use is now hindered with registration fees after a period of time (a dollar isn’t much, but not everyone has an onlin-ready credit card). Also, I’m completely unsatisfied with the Whatsapp Android app performance on my Samsung Galaxy S.
Last night though, whilst browsing through the Android Market, I saw 4.5 stars for Kik Messenger and loads of very positive comments, so I said why not since the size wasn’t much (less than a megabyte I believe)
Today, thanks to the status by my dear friend Dima Hajj, I realized that some of my friends have Kik, including non-Android users.
Now, here’s what’s nice about Kik
- Incredibly fast, unlike Whatsapp which crashes a lot and can be sluggish
- Much better graphics and organization of conversations and contacts
- S, D and R labels next to your IMs (sent, delivered and read) just like the BBM and an upgrade from Whatsapp’s notrious double-checks (which do not signal that the message has been read, or in fact received for that matter, only sent)
- Finds contacts from your existing contact list (just like whatsapp)
- Completely free
- Versions for Android, BB and iPhone/iPod are already available, but no Nokia version (unlike Whatsapp)
- No sending images/location/files/contacts etc.
- Does not check phone numbers to automatically add contacts (like Whatsapp) but uses emails if stored in contact list
So, why not download Kik from your App Store/Market or through this link on your BB
UPDATE: As I’m sure many of you found out, RIM (Blackberry maker) has banned Kik from the BB, dealing a heavy (and very unfair) blow to the Kik application. You might want to consider that in addition to the above =)
Update 2: Kik is back on BB! Read more here. Thanks Sh4do3
Read more with:
Special thanks to Wael Toutoungy for pointing out some disadvantages I had so clumsily missed =P